Health

FCT landlords, business owners demand action over worsening Abuja floods

Published

on

By Deborah Tolu-Kolawole

The FCT Stakeholders Forum for Development has called on the Federal Capital Territory Administration to take urgent measures to address the recurring flooding in Abuja, including the desilting of drainage channels, enforcement against encroachment and a comprehensive review of the territory’s 1979 Master Plan.

The forum, comprising landlords, business owners and investors in the FCT, made the demand on Wednesday at a press conference in Abuja, where it expressed concern over the recent flooding that has affected several parts of the nation’s capital.

Speaking for the group, its Chairman, Chief David Kente, said the recent floods had submerged homes, cut off roads and disrupted livelihoods, stressing that the situation required immediate intervention.

“Flooding is no longer an isolated incident. Communities that never experienced such levels of inundation are now vulnerable. Homes have been submerged, roads cut off, and livelihoods disrupted,” he said.

Kente said the forum conducted an independent fact-finding assessment of affected areas and found that the flooding was the result of a combination of factors, including rapid urban expansion, blocked drainage systems and indiscriminate waste disposal.

He also noted that the removal of drainage covers by scavengers had contributed to the blockage of waterways.

While some critics have linked the flooding to alleged violations of the Abuja Master Plan, the FSTF said the problem predated the current administration of the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike.

According to the forum, Abuja has experienced flooding under previous administrations, making it necessary to address the problem as a long-standing urban planning and environmental challenge rather than attributing it solely to the present administration.

The group, however, argued that the 1979 Abuja Master Plan requires urgent review, noting that the document no longer adequately reflects the population growth and infrastructural demands of the capital.

“The 1979 Master Plan is outdated. The document that guides development in the FCT no longer reflects the demographic and infrastructural realities of a capital city of over 3.5 million people. It requires urgent review and modernisation,” Kente said.

The forum’s position comes amid heightened attention to flood preparedness across the country. The National Emergency Management Agency activated its National Emergency Operations Centre earlier in August to strengthen monitoring, data collection and coordination of responses to flooding during the 2026 rainy season.

The Nigeria Meteorological Agency had also identified the FCT among states with a high flash-flood risk in its early-August outlook, citing factors including rainfall intensity, soil moisture, terrain and drainage capacity.

Advertisement

The Federal Ministry of Environment also operates a flood early-warning system covering Abuja and other locations to monitor rainfall and flood risks.

Kente said the FSTF was nevertheless passing a vote of confidence in Wike’s administration, citing ongoing road construction, urban renewal and other infrastructure projects across the territory.

He described Wike as “Mr Project” and said the administration’s infrastructure drive could contribute to Abuja’s economic development if accompanied by effective environmental planning.

The forum, however, urged the minister to ensure that infrastructure development did not worsen existing environmental challenges.

“We appeal to the Honourable Minister to take immediate and decisive action to address flooding in the FCT. This must include desilting of drainages, enforcement against encroachment, and a comprehensive review of the 1979 Master Plan,” Kente said.

It also urged the administration to ensure that development projects followed due process to minimise hardship on residents.

The call comes against the backdrop of ongoing drainage and road improvement projects in parts of Abuja. In February, the FCT Administration inspected drainage, sewer and access-road works around the World Trade Centre and Abuja Metro Rail corridor, areas that have experienced flooding and traffic challenges during heavy rainfall.

Kente said the forum believed Abuja could become a flood-resilient capital through stronger planning, political will and collaboration between the government and residents.

“We believe that with political will, stakeholder collaboration, and proper planning, Abuja can become both a model capital and a flood-resilient city,” he said.

Meanwhile, the Deputy Spokesman, House of Representatives, Philip Agbese, defended the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, against criticism over the recent flooding in parts of Abuja, saying residents must also take responsibility for activities that contribute to the problem.

The lawmaker said it was unfair to blame Wike for the flooding, arguing that the FCT Administration had embarked on several infrastructure projects to improve roads, drainage, transportation, and other critical facilities across the territory.

Copyright PUNCH

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.

Contact: [email protected]

Source link

Advertisement

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending

Exit mobile version