Foreign News

Search for survivors after 16 killed by Russian double-tap strike on Ukraine mall

Published

on

Rescuers in Ukraine worked through the night to search for survivors in the wreckage of a shopping centre hit by a deadly Russian double-tap drone strike.

Sixteen people were killed and 130 injured in the busy mall in Kryvyi Rih on Friday, local officials said. Nine people are reportedly still missing.

President Volodymyr Zelensky said the “cynical and despicable” attack was carried out in two waves, with the second strike targeting emergency workers at the scene.

Meanwhile, local officials said at least two people had been killed by further Russian strikes early on Saturday. The defence ministry in Moscow said it had targeted transport infrastructure and warehouses.

Twenty-three children are among those injured by Friday’s attack on the shopping centre in the Dnipropetrovsk region, said regional military head Oleksandr Hanzha.

Hanzha said the death toll had reached 16 after another body was retrieved from the rubble overnight. He previously said 29 people were in a serious condition, prompting fears the toll could rise further.

Dramatic footage verified by the BBC showed the second drone hitting the already burning mall in Zelensky’s hometown. Russia’s military has not commented.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending

Exit mobile version