Cyber hackers have stolen detailed financial information on hundreds of thousands of individuals and companies from tax and land registry computers, French authorities admitted on August 14.
France’s Public Finance agency (DGFiP), which oversees the tax system, said there were two separate cyber attacks on its computers. Details from more than 678,000 individual and professional accounts were taken in the first hack in June, with names, “income reference data” and tax rates paid among the details taken. The second theft in July concerned details on 200,000 land registry accounts.
The agency’s head, Amélie Verdier, said Tuesday that another data breach was detected on Monday that is still being evaluated.
To display this content from YouTube, you must enable advertisement tracking and audience measurement.
One of your browser extensions seems to be blocking the video player from loading. To watch this content, you may need to disable it on this site.
The thefts were claimed on a dark-web forum by ZeroBytes, a self-proclaimed French hacking duo that said they had access to a VPN used by tax officials.
Contacted by AFP and asked about motives, the duo said they had no “particular motivation” before adding: “money, I imagine“. They said the stolen information had already been sold to “two people” for “thousands of euros”.
The duo claim to have details on 250,000 land registry accounts involving about 2 million people who own land and property in France.
Prime Minister Sébastien Lecornu on Wednesday asked the National Cybersecurity Agency to set up a new “cyber unit” to counter cyberattacks.
Budget Minister David Amiel said on Tuesday that his ministry will use artificial intelligence tools to test the cybersecurity vulnerabilities of government agencies following last week’s disclosure. He stressed that the government would only work with what he described as “sovereign” AI providers – such as France’s Mistral – and explicitly excluded US-based OpenAI.
France’s identity document agency ANTS was hit by a massive attack in April affecting the data of nearly 12 million individuals and professionals.
In February, the finance ministry said that a large-scale breach of its computer system had resulted in the theft of the details of 1.2 million bank accounts. Days later, hackers stole the medical information of some 15 million individuals.