Politics

Tinubu condoles with Sokoto over boat accident that killed more than 50

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has condoled with the government and people of Sokoto State over the boat accident in Gorau, Goronyo Local Government Area, which claimed more than 50 lives.

He also directed relevant federal agencies to work with the Sokoto State Government to prevent a recurrence and ensure strict enforcement of safety standards on the country’s waterways.

Mr Tinubu’s condolence and directive were contained in a statement issued on Friday by his Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga.

“The news of this boat mishap deeply saddens me. My thoughts and prayers are with the bereaved families during this difficult time,” the president said.

He prayed for the deceased and extended his condolences to their families as well as the government and people of Sokoto State.

Mr Tinubu also commended emergency responders and local authorities involved in the search and recovery operation.

He directed the National Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA) and the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) to work closely with the Sokoto State Government “to prevent a recurrence and to ensure safety standards on waterways are strictly enforced.”

The president further assured the people of Sokoto State of the federal government’s support and prayed for the recovery of those injured in the accident.

Over 50 bodies recovered

As PREMIUM TIMES reported, more than 50 bodies had been recovered from the Gorau boat accident as search operations continued, while emergency agencies worked to reconcile differing figures on the number of passengers and victims.

The boat was travelling from Gorau towards Birjingo when it capsized. Many of those aboard were farmers and farm workers heading to rice farms across the waterway; children were also among the passengers.

The Sokoto State Police Command initially told PREMIUM TIMES that 77 passengers were aboard. Its spokesperson, Ahmad Rufai, said at the time that 46 bodies had been recovered, seven passengers rescued alive and 24 remained missing.

Safety concerns

Mr Tinubu’s directive comes about a year after another deadly boat accident in the same local government area prompted the Sokoto State Government to announce measures aimed at improving water-transport safety.

Following the August 2025 accident around Kojiyo village, the Sokoto State Government said it had procured 20 motorised boats and life jackets for riverine communities, with two of the boats allocated to Goronyo LGA.

The government subsequently announced the distribution of 20 motorised boats and 2,000 life jackets in September 2025.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: NEMA receives 1,516 Nigerians voluntarily repatriated from South Africa

Governor Ahmed Aliyu said the intervention was intended to reduce boat accidents and warned operators against overloading their vessels.

Following the latest accident, however, Nasiru Adamu, the lawmaker representing Goronyo Constituency in the Sokoto State House of Assembly, told Daily Trust that Gorau community had not received the engine-powered boats and life jackets distributed by the state government.

It remains unclear where the two motorised boats earlier said to have been allocated to Goronyo LGA were deployed and whether any of the life jackets supplied under the programme were made available at the Gorau crossing point.

Meanwhile, NIWA Governing Board Chairman Mukhtar Shehu Shagari has said the authority is working towards phasing out wooden boats from Nigeria’s inland waterways as part of measures to improve navigation safety.

Mr Shagari also urged state governments to strengthen cooperation with NIWA on enforcement and called on boat operators and riverine communities to comply with safety regulations.


Discover more from Premium Times Nigeria

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending

Exit mobile version