Health

WHO, Africa CDC Welcome 70,000 Ervebo Doses To DRC

Published

on

The World Health Organization (WHO) and the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) have welcomed the allocation of 70,000 Ervebo vaccine doses to the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).

The agencies said this in a statement on Thursday, adding that the International Coordinating Group on Vaccine Provision (ICG) approved the immediate release following a request from the DRC Government.

They said the vaccines would support efforts to contain the ongoing Bundibugyo virus disease outbreak and protect affected communities.

“Of the 70,000 doses, 20,000 are allocated for a Phase 3 clinical trial investigating Ervebo’s potential impact against Bundibugyo virus.

“The remaining 50,000 doses will be administered to frontline and healthcare workers under current WHO immunisation recommendations.

“Ervebo is licensed and recommended for outbreaks caused by Ebola virus disease, previously known as Zaire ebolavirus,” it said.

The agencies, however, said it remained uncertain whether Ervebo could protect humans against Bundibugyo virus, although early laboratory and animal studies suggested possible protection.

According to the statement, the clinical trial is expected to generate evidence that could guide policymakers on the vaccine’s future use against Bundibugyo virus.

It said WHO and Africa CDC emphasised the importance of informed consent, ensuring recipients understood the potential risks, benefits and limitations of vaccination.

The organisations reaffirmed their support for the DRC Government, urging community-led action to protect lives and strengthen Africa’s preparedness for future outbreaks.(NAN)(www.nannews.ng)

Edited by Abiemwense Moru

Source link

Advertisement

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending

Exit mobile version